Welcome to our Path to Scholarships® blog! We hope you find the information useful. Please return frequently for information, hot topics, and cutting edge research. We invite you to post your comments, ideas, questions, and success stories.
Community service is defined as investing time and serving others outside the family as a volunteer.
Community service allows us to develop character, build self-esteem, and instills a life-long lesson of how to give back, while allowing us an opportunity to explore possibilities that may lead to future careers. A majority of scholarships require community service. However, community service scholarships exist as a category all on their own. Documentation is crucial.
Community service needs to be documented in the following manner:
- Person/Group/Organization helped
- Brief description of activity (2-3 sentences)
- Date and hours served
- Signature and phone number of a supervisor/witness (No family members may sign.)
Community service is about quality of service over quantity of hours. Show a commitment over time, with a minimum of one hour per month over four months. If you can serve more, that is even better. Get involved with helping others. Most scholarships require community service. Be sure to document your time.
Community service scholarships want to know the following information:
- What was your commitment over time? (hours- daily, weekly, monthly, etc.)
- What difference did you make?
- What leadership role did you have?
- Were you a role model?
- How did community service make you feel?
Other community service resources:http://finaid.org/otheraid/service.phtml Community Service Ideas (Not Exclusive)
- Visit elderly shut-ins
- Prepare meals for shelters and/or shut-ins
- Host or participate in a drive (clothes, food, diaper, etc.)
- Perform for the community
- Clean (street, neighborhood, park, school, etc.)
- Teach Sunday School
- Volunteer at a food pantry
- Volunteer at an animal shelter or pet store
- Perform yard work
Visit http://www.volunteermatch.org for even more ideas.